Funding Supports

The harsh reality is that without appropriate 1:1 Oral Motor Therapy Children with Apaxia mostly will not improve.  Individual therapy is expensive but a necessary and essential component of the treatment process.  The following information is aimed to help guide you to the various sources of funding for 1:1 private therapy available in Alberta.  Children who are in Program Unit Funding enrolled Programs are eligible for the FSCD Developmental Contract and the Disability Tax Credit.

The main streams of funding are the following :

  • Private Health Benefits
  • Family Supports For Children with Disabilities (see below).
  • The Disability Tax Credit can be used to offset some costs of Therapy.
  • Program Unit Funding (This is direct intervention through the school).

Make use of the  Children’s Disability Benefit and the Disability Tax Credit.

         Great info about the Disability Tax Credit here:


More Info:

The Disability Tax Credit is available through Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as a non-refundable tax credit for an individual or parent/legal representative of a dependent (under 18 years old) with a disability for their taxable income.
CRA determines eligibility based on their specific definition of disability.  CRA defines ‘disability’ as a “severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions.” For specific definitions of the terms, please refer to Canada Revenue Agency Website  for details.
In order to be eligible for the Disability Tax Credit, an individual or parent/legal representative must apply with a completed Disability Tax Credit Certificate to CRA and a determination will be made.  A ‘qualified practitioner’ must complete the Disability Tax Credit Certificate, which can be found in CRA website Form t2201 (read me pdf).
An individual applying for the Disability Tax Credit may also include copies of relevant medical assessments and reports, however these are not required.
CRA will make the determination and notify via written letter typically within 2-4 months of application.  It is generally recommended to apply early prior to income tax season.  If a dependent is approved for the Disability Tax Credit, they will also be eligible for the Child Disability Benefit which is paid monthly benefit based on a family’s net income.  A parent does not need to apply for the Child Disability Benefit on a separate application, it is automatically calculated after the Disability Tax Credit is approved.  Further details can be found on CRA’s website:
If a child is approved for the disability tax credit, their parent/legal representative is eligible to open a Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) for their dependent.  For further details on RDSP:
General information from CRA for a person with a disability:


Family Support for Children with Disabilities is a program run by the Alberta Government that provides funding supports for many issues that families with children with disabilities face. A medical letter is required, along with the application form to be filled by the parent.  An intake worker will come to your home to do a full needs assessment and the funding can be used for many needs including Speech/Language/Occupational Therapy/Physiotherapy needs.

If your child has one area of “Severe” delay (eg. Communication, Behaviour, Motor Skills etc) you may be able to apply to FSCD with the goal of obtaining an approved contract for SLP services in your home. Specifically request a “Developmental Contract”.  The criteria is not based on income level but solely on the medical needs of the child. You will need to provide written SLP assessments to confirm the “severe” disorder, as well as other supporting medical documentation to assist in your application.

SLP’s please note to include as much information about Childhood Apraxia of Speech as applies to the Client as possible.  Using the word “disorder” as in “Severe Speech Sound Disorder” instead of “Delay” is more likely to lead the Caseworker to a better understanding of the condition and therefore a greater likelihood of contracts being approved. 

FSCD contracts out to approved SLPs or agencies on their list. However, parents can use the funding of a developmental contract to pay the hourly rate for any SLP in Private Practice.  Parents  may have to “top up” the amout eg If FSCD pays $100/hr parents may have to pay the balance.  This is certainly helpful funding. If approved, the developmental contract will provide speech services in your home to work with the family and your child on a 1:1 basis weekly or more to a maximum of 6 months (followed by reassessment).

Human Services – Family Supports for Children with Disabilities Info

FSCD Application link

If your application is denied, always appeal. Here is the link to the appeals process:


FSCD Policy and Procedure Manual, Developmental Support on Page 239

Alberta Government Supports for Families with Children with Disabilities

  • Private Insurance Plans do cover Speech Therapy, this of course will depend on the type of plan that is selected.